We need to get the GSoC 2016 ideas page filled NOW

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 10:26:13 UTC 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 03:50:55 AM Sven Brauch wrote:
> On 15/02/16 03:40, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > * Improve C integration (In fact I have no idea how handy that is
> > nowadays).
>
> It does still matter, people work with microcontrollers and you do want
> to use C on that. And all the IDEs people usually use for that do kind
> of suck. So +1 for better C support.

Totally agree.

Though I think adding C support is mostly a work of just one week thinking
about passing the right compiler flags to libclang (someone's working on that
already). There's not much left to do afaics, so it's not enough work for a
GSoC project.

> By the way, if somebody wanted to do it, in the microcontroller
> direction there are lots of good things one could do (e.g. in the
> debugger area, or deployment, or build system support, or templates for
> common chips, etc). I know this is not our primary focus or something
> ... but if people want to work on it, there is certainly a market to
> expand into, since as said most other common IDEs there are very bad
> language-support and editor-wise (they are often shipped by the chip
> vendor and their only significant quality is that they work
> out-of-the-box with the demo board they sell).

Sounds cool, definitely a +1 on "exploring new areas where other IDEs are
lacking".

But I think we need a specific use-case in mind in order to wrap this into a
GSoC project. If you have one, great, add it to the ideas page.

Cheers,
Kevin