KDevelop Go integration

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Feb 1 16:17:40 UTC 2016

On Monday, February 01, 2016 04:54:00 PM Pavel Petrushkov wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> I'm still here, I try to keep the plugin up to date with new go and
> kdevelop changes, but I don't really have time to do any serious feature
> development.
>
> About parser package: last time I looked at it (summer 2014) using go code
> in c didn't work very well and seemed more like a hack and there were no c
> interface either. Another idea was to print the AST in go code and then
> reparse it in C, but IIRC documentation said somewhere that format of
> printed AST is not fixed. So I decided it would be too difficult to use.
> Keep in mind that I'm by no means a go expert and things could have changed
> drastically since then, especially now that whole go compiler is written in
> go.
>
> About gocode: again, in the summer 2014 it looked like gocode would be
> relatively easy to integrate, but it was missing a lot of features, like
> smart semantic completion and so on, that are on the other hand, easily
> possible having the whole AST.
>
> I have also heard that LLVM has some progress integrating Go. So it is
> definitely worth to have a look at all this again, perhaps I could try
> doing it in March, when I have some time. If anybody wants to work on it I
> can help with understanding of my code or some go-specific features and
> their integration in kdevelop. For the GSoC: I will most likely have no
> time to do it, so I'm afraid I have to say no.
>
> Regarding current state of the plugin: I believe it has been more or less
> usable for some time, at least I was satisfied with it when I needed to
> write some go. Other than that, I don't really know if it has any userbase
> at all, if so, I wasn't contacted about any bugs or feature requests.

Right, the difficulty is that we never really announced it on a blog post, so
the user base is probably super small or even non-existing. Too bad.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! We'll see if we are able to spend a GSoC
slot on that topic, maybe for other potentially interested students.

Thanks!
Kevin