KDev-embedded status

patrick JP patrickelectric at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 11:50:06 UTC 2016

> Thank you for the feedback, and revision approval.

Welcome and ty for your interest !

I'm trying to learn more about embedded programming. I have some experience
> with Arduino, and trying to program some MCUs using my Arduino board as a
> programmer.

Take a look in  "Arduino as jtag" and "Arduino as ICSP", if you want more
help of how to perform that I will be glad to help you :)

> I find the embedded programming to be very Windows/VisualStudio centric,
> and I don't like that. That's why I'm glad this plugin exists.

The development of embedded platforms can be performed without problems in
open source OS and tools, it's necessary a bit a knowledge of how to
perform that and how your embedded system works.

I'd like for this plugin to be more user friendly, especially for
> beginners, and for it to follow the KDE Mantra: Simple by design, powerful
> when needed.

For that I'd like to better understand the current direction the plugin is
> headed, and I propose that we set up a workboard for it, and keep the
> backlog in there, instead of the readme.

Back in the day when talking with scummos, the actual idea is to perform a
better integration with kdevelop workflow.

   - You can create a new project from an "Embedded development Arduino"
   template, and in the future I hope to perform a more intelligent template
   manager, maybe listing some templates from platformio.

   - The plugin don't perform the compile process, the user need to use
   cmake, make, waf os something else like other kdevelop project to perform
   the compile process.

   - The user can perform the upload process to the board using the actual
   "Launch Configuration" windows, selecting the project as embedded and
   configuring the correct upload tool and board.

Isn't the best user friendly interface, but it's very configurable to
advanced users.

> There are many things about embedded programming I still don't know, and
> I'd like to learn about them while working on this project.
>
> Can I set up a Phabricator project for this plugin?

We can talk more about that if you want, this last week was very busy, in
the pass of the days I will be more online.

Best regards,