KDevelop 5 release date / windows build

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu May 7 13:50:14 UTC 2015

On Thursday 07 May 2015 14:25:23 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 May 2015 12:37:53 Владимир Старосельцев wrote:
> >>  Hello, Milian
> >
> > Hey there!
> >
> >> Can you say, when kdevelop 5 release date is planned?
> >> I would like to try build it on windows to get something like
> >> https://www.kdevelop.org/screenshots/kdevelop-5-pre-alpha-windows but I
> >> dont found instructions and download link to sources of kdev5 yet
> >
> > Kevin, whom I CC'ed by sending this email to our mailing list, did the
> > windows build back then. He'll be able to answer you. Please direct your
> > questions to kdevelop-devel at kde.org in the future.
> >
> > Independently of the windows stuff, I guess the questions of having a
> > first
> > beta release or similar for KF5 is a good idea. What do the others think?
> > What is still severely broken and must be looked into? Any blockers?
>
> Hi,
> I've been using the Qt5 version for almost a year now, and I'm not
> miserable.
>
> There's some problems to look into, for example I had to stop using
> kdev-oldcpp because it got lost parsing/processing QObject-based
> classes.

+1. This one is pretty severe. I cannot tell exactly when it happens, but
that's part of the reason I'm using KDevelop 4 atm to get things done.

Aleix also sent a mail about that a while ago, we'll have to dig into that.

> Also kdev-clang freezes from time to time. Also the cmake
> support has obvious regressions because I overestimated my ability to
> contribute to the cmake project.
>
> OTOH, I'd say it's fine though for a Technology Preview kind of thing,
> especially if it's going to help it start reaching to the other
> platforms.

I think apart from the weird problem described above it's indeed fine and we
could release it as alpha, yeah.

 > Cheers!
> Aleix

Greets