GSOC2015 KDevelop ideas

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Sat Mar 7 15:56:47 UTC 2015

On Saturday 07 March 2015 16:22:17 Laszlo Kis-Adam wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> My name is Laszlo Kis-Adam ( IRC handle dfighter ), and I'm considering
> to apply to KDE for GSOC2015 with project ideas regarding KDevelop.
> Also in the KDevelop IRC channel's topic I've seen that you need people
> with C++ and Qt4 experience.

Yep. Although in the meantime we've basically ported most of KDevelop to KF5,
and are now in need of people with Qt5 experience!

(Someone should change that topic to just say "Qt" ...)

> Well I happen to be such a person, and I'm a great fan of open source
> software! I've contributed to more than one so far.
> I've been programming using C++ since mid 2009, and I've been
> programming using Qt since 2012.

That sounds great!

> In fact I find the "Checker Framework" and "SVN Plugin Rewrite" ideas
> quite interesting.
> https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#KDevelop
>
> First of my question would be which one of those is the more important
> for KDevelop right now, since that would be the one I'd be more
> interested in.

The Checker Frameworks sounds like a much important feature, since it'd enable
us to tightly integrate quite a few tools that are bit-rotting in playground
right now (cppcheck, valgrind and many more).

> The second would be if you could provide some more details, starting
> points to get my feet wet.

Good point.

To be able to participate in GSoC in KDevelop land, we'd like potential
students to dive into the code base as soon as possible, so we get an idea
about their skill set and general work flow.

So, if you're interested in working on the Checker framework, I suggest
starting off with compiling KDevplatform/KDevelop for KF5 [1] and then playing
around with the plugins mentioned on the GSoC idea page (again: cppcheck from
kdev-cppcheck.git, valgrind from kdev-valgrind.git). Run them, check what they
do, what results they produce in the KDevelop UI.

One of the basic ideas of the Checker Framework is to have a common "result
view" for all these tools, e.g. that the results of a 'cppcheck' run show up
in the Problem tool view, having proper file/line/severity information.

Regarding starting points:

I'm already having something in mind that you could work on: kdev-valgrind
isn't even ported to KF5 yet, and it'd be a great starter task to get that
ready for KF5-based KDevelop. You could check the git logs of kdev-cppcheck to
learn how to do that.

At any rate, if you need help, you'll find me on IRC (nick: kfunk).

Regards

[1] https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
    (using kdesrc-build is highly recommended!)