GSOC 2015

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Jun 1 17:50:43 UTC 2015

On Saturday 30 May 2015 14:37:46 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday 30 May 2015 13:41:15 Maciej Poleski wrote:
> > Dnia sobota, 30 maja 2015 13:21:32 piszesz:
> > >
> > > If we link against it and then the distro updates clang and our code
> > > does
> > > not compile anymore, we must not disable all of kdev-clang. I'd be OK
> > > with it disabling only the refactoring features though.
> > >
> > > Bye, HTH
> >
> > I guess in any case it is not allowed to fail at compile time. We can use
> > conditional compilation (#ifdef) to enable libTooling pieces only when we
> > are sure that appropriate Clang version is available. This doesn't mean
> > that it must be separate target. Compilation of the rest of code base
> > (current kdev-clang) would be unconditional in any case. But I understand
> > that there may be issue when Clang get update and already compiled code
> > (kdev-clang linked with libTooling) stop working. And that's what we want
> > to avoid. If this is the issue You are concerned about, then indeed I will
> > ship refactorings in separate binary (which we couldn't assume to be in
> > working state at runtime). Is that what You mean?
>
> Both are issues. So I still fear that a separate binary will be the final
> solution.

See discussion on cfe-dev:

I think we shouldn't start writing wrappers right now. LLVM/Clang apparently
has some sort of ABI guarantee, at least for patch releases. Which is probably
enough for us. So we could indeed link against the distro-provided libraries.

> Thinking a bit more about it though: If you feel uncomfortable with this,
> feel free to ignore this and just try to link against libTooling from
> inside kdev- clang directly. Then you'll have to work in a sperate branch
> and we can think about how we integrate this mess in the long run.

Yes, please let's go this way first. We can think of hacks later on :)