Exception policy?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 30 06:00:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Nicolai Hähnle-Montoro <nhaehnle at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I usually debug everything with a breakpoint on "exception throw", to
> the extent where it's set in my .gdbinit. Since the Subversion plugin
> was reenabled, I started seeing annoying exceptions thrown when
> opening any project, in svn::Client::info() at
> kdevplatform/plugins/subversion/kdevsvncpp/client_status.cpp:407.
>
> Apparently, these exceptions are used to signal the case when there
> isn't a Subversion checkout at all. Is this really necessary?
>
> I've disabled the plugin for now, but at least MHO is that exceptions
> should only be thrown when something goes wrong. Probing for a
> Subversion checkout and realizing that there isn't one isn't
> "something goes wrong" in my book.

This is third-party code so does not directly have something to do with
kdevelop and its policies about exceptions. Its been imported to be
modified (and is modified from upstream afaik), so it can be patched to
drop the exceptions but it was intended to keep the diff small.

Apart from that, it is an error thats raised not just a 'probe' - at least
from the perspective of the svncpp library. Its like running 'svn info' in
a directory that has no .subversion subdir, that'll throw an error as well.

So if svn::Client::info is used by KDevelop to detect wether a directory is
a subversion working copy thats where the bug is - IMHO. A different
solution needs to be found for figuring that out - wether the svn api has a
way of knowing this up-front I can't say though.