The sorry state of the GDB plugin

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Nov 13 12:27:27 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I just spent some hours looking into the unit tests of GDB and the state is
pretty bad. It failed for months on our CI and no one looked into it. Turns
out these issues are real and probably effect people that try to actually use
it:

a) I see tons of dialogs popup like this: The debugger component encountered
an internal error while processing reply from gdb. (MI type_error exception).
Turns out that is due to the GDB plugin blindly passing GDB responses to the
GDBCommand handlers. There is no validation that e.g. a -break-list command
receives only "^done,BreakpointTable*" kind of responses. That leads to utter
confusion.

b) testRemoteDebugInsertBreakpoint is also completely broken. It expects two
breakpoints where we have three in our model. But GDB internally, as shown by
the BreakpointTable response, only knows one - the one from the runScript, and
none of those added from within KDevelop.

There are probably more issues. I'd love if someone could step up and take
care of the GDB plugin. With Vlas, Niko etc. gone the plugin really needs a
new maintainer that is willing to invest the time in fixing the issues it has.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de