KDev Plugin Status

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:02:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM, John5342 <john5342 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone put any consideration into collecting the status of the
>> various plugins?
>>
>> I have used a few plugins such as kdev-python and kdev-custombuildsystem
>> (before it was merged) but, aside from kdev-python which was mentioned on
>> list, i only really discovered them indirectly by browsing quickgit.
>> Looking through them i notice some have had virtually zero activity for
>> some time and others seem quite active but it is not clear which ones are
>> supposed to be stable(ish), experiments or even whether they are supposed
>> to build. Keeping plugins as something to be stumbled on by end users
>> reduces users for plugins that are mostly stable, testers/reporters for
>> ones that are mostly working and contributors for ones that are active but
>> still need real work.
>>
>> So in short it would be great to see a place (a wiki page?) listing the
>> plugins, description, current status (and last updated date) and optionally
>> a bugzilla link for bugs and task list for possible contributors. Hopefully
>> all maintained by the owner of each plugin.
>>
>> Apologies in advance if this already exists but i missed it.
>>
> Hi,
> I agree that there definitely is a lacking in this area. On the other
> hand, keeping wikis updated where the people involved doesn't need (most
> developers don't need to keep track of such things in a wiki) tend to go
> out of date.

A very valid point but if it brings more contributors then that could tip
the balance and a "last updated date" would at least show how out of date
any particular entry is.

> Usually people send an e-mail to this list asking for feedback, and I
> would say it's fine.
> Do you have any special needs?

I wasn't after anything specific. More of a missed opportunity that i
thought was worth bringing up.

That said, i am curious about the state of kdev-clang since i use clang
almost exclusively at the moment:
- How does it compare, in completeness/stability/etc, to the current built
in c++ parser?
- What was decided on whether to parse per file or per translation unit?
- If "per file", will "per translation unit" be an option at some point?
- Have you got a running list of tasks so i can work out how best to help?

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Please answer to the mailing list, as there's other people with better
> information on kdev-clang support.

My apologies. All the other mailing lists i post on have a reply-to header
so "Reply" just does the right thing. I will be more careful in the future.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and
those who don't...