[GSoC 2014] QML, Quick and Qt Designer in KDevelop (was: Integrating Clang in KDevelop)

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 23:17:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Denis Steckelmacher <steckdenis at yahoo.fr>wrote:

> On 03/06/2014 08:21 PM, Sven Brauch wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 06 March 2014 23:08:34 Sergey Kalinichev wrote:
>>
>>> BTW what is the maximum number of students per
>>> project?
>>>
>> Not directly, but there's a maximum number of slots KDE gets as a whole
>> (usually around 50).
>>

> It seems that KDevelop gets very much attention this year! Several years
> ago, I planned to apply for the GSoC but I was finally unable to do so. As
> KDevelop already interested me, I had an idea about it: integrate Qt
> Designer and/or a QML editor into KDevelop (if there is already a plugin
> architecture allowing that, I have to check the Okteta plugin).
>
> The motivation past then was to ease the development of GUIs. Qt Designer
> is a very nice program, but it requires the user to constantly switch
> windows between the KDevelop and the GUI builder. In fact, Qt Creator was
> announced around that time, and it has Qt Designer integrated into it.
>
> The motivation is a bit different nowadays: Qt5 and KDE5 are heading
> towards QML and Javascript, and it would be wonderful that KDevelop
> supports these technologies. [1] says that there exists somewhere a
> KDevelop plugin for Javascript and QML support, but this is support for
> code completion in the code view (by the way, such a language support
> plugin is also in my field of interest). I have read some time ago that Qt
> Creator is able to display a preview of QML files, but I was never able
> find how to enable this feature (I use Qt Creator 3).
>
> What do you think of porting the Qt Creator QML viewer or the one that is
> used in Plasmate to KDevelop, so that developers of KWin decorations,
> Plasmoids, KDE games and even applications based on Qt Quick Controls can
> see what they are doing? Do you think it could be possible not only to
> display a preview of a QML file, but also to edit it graphically (QML
> elements are not that complex, as the language is mainly declarative, and
> it should be possible to display them with some sort of property view and
> inline code editor for bindings). One problem I see, though, is that
> supporting Qt Quick would have to wait for KDevelop to be based on Qt5 (QML
> can be supported with Qt 4).
>
> If you think that a classical widget-based form builder would be more
> useful, then two existing implementations can be used : Qt Designer and the
> one of Kexi (which uses its own form builder I think).
>
> [1]: http://milianw.de/blog/qmljavascript-language-plugin-for-kdevelop

To be honest, I don't think a QML Editor is in the scope of a GSoC, if
Nokia+Digia didn't manage to do it

On the other hand, I'm much more interested in seeing the QML/JS Language
support polished, integration of the Profiler/Debugger, etc.
Furthermore, there's lots to accomplish in the JS integration for web
developers. Becoming interesting to that public would be very interesting.

Aleix