[GSoC 2014] QML, Quick and Qt Designer in KDevelop (was: Integrating Clang in KDevelop)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 6 21:50:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2014 21:30:46 Denis Steckelmacher wrote:> As KDevelop
> already interested me, I had an idea about it: integrate Qt
> > Designer and/or a QML editor into KDevelop (if there is already a plugin
> > architecture allowing that, I have to check the Okteta plugin).
> That probably wouldn't be terribly difficult from both kdevelop's and
> designer's side. See for example
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qdesignerformeditorinterface.html.

There is actually a plugin that tries to do this. We've abandoned it since
it requires private Qt headers and it required to understand/mimic how
designer is implemented internally. The above is actually interfaces to
extend Designer with plugins that do more than providing a custom widget
(think new property editors). I don't think this has changed in Qt4.8 (I
recall looking at QtCreator's designer integration and it was doing the
same thing, except they had the experts at hand), maybe things are better
in 5.x (but then qml is the new fancy thing there so might be designer
didn't get much attention).

The plugin hasn't been moved to git yet as it seems, no idea where the svn
stuff lives these days.

I know there's quite some people who want this feature; personally, I'm not
> really that excited about it, since the only effect of such integration I
> can
> see is having the designer widget in a kdevelop document instead of a
> separate
> window. Which is not really a difference usability-wise (and if it is, you
> need to fix your window manager setup ;)). But maybe I'm overlooking some
> awesome things we could do with such integration.

Well, designer could be used to get information about slots, signals etc.
You don't need to have a cmake run generate the ui_*.h file before KDevelop
is able to see the classes and hence the elements of the UI.