KDE frameworks 5 future
aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Jun 14 17:50:54 UTC 2014
On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> Hey all,
> with the release of KDevelop 4.7 coming up, I also discussed the future of
> KDevelop in regard to frameworks 5. Currently, only Aleix and Kevin work on
> making KDevelop future proof in that regard, many thanks! It is a very
> task though to repeatedly port new KDevelop code to frameworks 5, and I
> we should think about dropping KDE 4 support soonishly.
> When we release KDevelop 4.7 at the end of July, I assume we would release
> next version at the end of the year. Do we want to make this another KDE 4
> version? Or do we want to concentrate on Frameworks 5 instead? To make this
> decision, I urge everyone to try out KDevelop's framework branch - I have
> do the same. If there are no big blockers, it could be a good decision to
> KDE4 after 4.7 and go kf5 only.
> So, what are your feelings? Should we stick to KDE4 for KDevelop 4.8? Or
> should we go qt5/kf5 as soon as possible?
> Note that we could/should still do KDE4 bugfix releases. Just new features
> API refactorings should go into the kf5 branch then.
> Well, lets start the discussion now :)
I would say by then we can move frameworks to master and develop using it
for real. We can keep the 4.7 branch for fixes but I would prefer to get
all of us acquainted with KF5 and settle on the platform.
If somebody has big problems with adopting KF5 we can wait, but I don't see
much reason for it, given that 4.8 would end up in next winter when all
distros will already have the proper versions of KDE Frameworks and Qt.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the KDevelop-devel