[kdev-clang] /: Always update opened in editor documents

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Aug 27 13:07:10 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 27 August 2014 16:23:52 Sergey Kalinichev wrote:
> Hi,
> Yes, I know that you've already reverted that.
>
> Still I don't understand why is it so bad? Yes, it's just a
> workaround, not a proper fix, but it solves the problem. And it does
> it almost for free (without using too much resources), because it just
> reparses the currently opened document, not it's imports, that already
> up to date, so it's very fast.

You can easily end up with dozens of file open in a project which get restored
on startup. Creating parse jobs for these files for no reason is a bug as it
wastes resources. The user will also think our cache is broken as this is much
slower than just highlighting a file from the cache.

So yes, this is bad. Please open a bug report with explicit steps to reproduce
the underlying issue you want to workaround here. Then we can start the
discussion on how to fix it *properly*.

I really don't want kdev-clang to become a monster of workarounds (like other
language plugins). Instead, I want to fix things properly in kdevplatform
wherever required.

Bye