Improving the templates in KDevelop/KAppTemplate

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:27:26 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Tuesday 08 April 2014 22:14:18 Simon Waechter wrote:
> Sorry, I meant recommendation, not requirement. I always thought,
> KDevelop is a KDE IDE, but I think I am wrong ;)
Yes, that's a misconception -- I don't think any of the people working on
KDevelop sees it as a KDE-only IDE. It's certainly very suitable to develop
KDE apps mostly because of the choice of supported technologies, but in no way
limited to that.

> That sounds like an interesting idea. With an internet service do you
> mean a webview based approach (Template manager displays the templates
> from a remote server) or something like the KDE Hot New Stuff Feature
> (Sven mentioned it) ? I am not quire sure how up2date & actively used
> the KNS system is ?
The former would be quite some effort (or not?) ... the latter can basically
be done in an hour, so I'm not sure the former is worth it.
The GHNS stuff is being maintained, the problem with it is that the only
provider which is actually working and active (opendesktop.org) is "non-free"
(non-OSS backend code) and not hosted by KDE, thus reportedly a bit painful to
deal with if you want e.g. a new category for templates.

Greetings!