Why is FunctionType not an IdentifiedType?

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 16 13:40:42 UTC 2013

Hi!

I already talked to olijg in IRC about this yesterday, but now I'd like to
bring it up here again: Why is FunctionType not an IdentifiedType? Looking at
the kdev-python code, this causes quite some extra complexity, so I was
thinking about why it is like this and found no reason.

Let me outline my understanding of this issue: An IdentifiedType is a type
which has a declaration. The purpose is to separate types which can be
associated with a particular declaration (e.g. classes) from types which are
built-in or composite types (IntegralType, UnsureType), and allow retrieving
the declaration only for types for which this makes sense.
FunctionType is currently not an IdentifiedType, although it clearly belongs
to a Declaration in every language I'm aware of. I think this should be
changed. Thoughts?

Greetings,
Sven