supporting python2 and python3 in kdevelop

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:13:15 UTC 2013

Hi!

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to support both python2 and python3 in
kdevelop. I have working branches for both versions, but merging them into one
plugin with a switch is not feasible for a variety of reasons. It would result
in code having lots and lots of if(python3) {...} which I can't maintain.

So, apart from the "dumb" method of supporting both (which is providing two
packages which conflict and the user can switch on a package-level) it would
be very cool to have it selectable in kdevelop -- python2 will be around for
quite a while (I don't think it'll disappear any sooner than five years, since
various major projects still have not switched).

I think this would mean writing a Python project manager (which makes sense
anyways), which would need to have a word in which language plugin is used for
a file -- i.e. the project manager would need to influence
ILanguageController::languagesForUrl().

Does that make any sense? Does anyone have a better idea?

Greetings,
Sven