vi mode

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue May 28 21:46:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> kate has removed the vi mode status bar (the one which says "VI:
>> NORMAL MODE" etc.). They display it in their status line instead. We
>> don't have the status line so it's not being displayed at all. Thus,
>> we need to do something (or decide we don't need it displayed).
>>
>> I would write the code, but I don't use vi input mode and I'm thus not
>> sure what would be appropriate. I would dislike putting it in the tab
>> bar (where the line/column number is) since there's so much stuff
>> there already and not much space available. We could just add a new
>> status bar, and effectively get the old thing back (iff vi mode is
>> enabled). Other ideas?
>>
>> What would you do?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sven
>>

> Ugh I see... Well I don't use it either, so I'll add Aurélien and Vishesh
> that I know they use the vi mode with kdevelop.
>
> I guess that the best would be to add a status bar ourselves under the
> widget to be used on such cases... no? (only displayed if it's not empty)

Well, to be honest, I never look at the status bar. In fact I just noticed
that I did not notice it disappearing.

But I guess adding it under the edit widget like it used to be there before
would make sense. In vim it shows if you're in insert mode and shows the
line number, column number on the bottom right. And the % scrolled in the
current document.

--
Vishesh Handa