vi mode

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue May 28 19:13:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> kate has removed the vi mode status bar (the one which says "VI:
> NORMAL MODE" etc.). They display it in their status line instead. We
> don't have the status line so it's not being displayed at all. Thus,
> we need to do something (or decide we don't need it displayed).
>
> I would write the code, but I don't use vi input mode and I'm thus not
> sure what would be appropriate. I would dislike putting it in the tab
> bar (where the line/column number is) since there's so much stuff
> there already and not much space available. We could just add a new
> status bar, and effectively get the old thing back (iff vi mode is
> enabled). Other ideas?
>
> What would you do?

IMO:

- when tabs are shown, add a status line for vi-mode and also put line/col
info there. Basically the same thing kate has, one per view area (when
using split views).

- when tabs are off, put the same information into the area where line/col
info is, there's plenty of space there.

Alternatively I could also live with:

- drop tabs completely and hence only have the second option from above.