Usability Workshops

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 23:39:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Kevin Funk <krf at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> There is a usability workshop during Akademy this year where one can get
> his/her applications tested by a volunteer who's unaware of the
> application in
> use. KDevelop would fit into this workshop perfectly well, because, ahem, I
> think it's still somewhat rough to get started with it at first.
>
> Jos likes to have at least two developers per app. I don't really consider
> myself a core developer now, but proficient enough to guide users through
> KDevelop. Does anyone else want to join me in the workshop? Then I'd send
> the
> application to Jos so we could get KDevelop dismantled by usability
> people. ;)
>
> Cheers

I don't know if KDevelop is the best project to participate. When I saw the
e-mail I considered it, but I discarded it because KDevelop is
intrinsically complex and something that one has to learn how to use to
some extent. Also KDevelop is not a tool /everybody/ can use, some
development knowledge is required, with the culture this carries.

I agree though that we could get some good ideas to benefit from
eventually, but then we can also work on our UI as well. I don't think the
responsibility of the current state is lack of ideas. If that's the case,

TBH, I'd rather gathering ourselves in the BoF and around beer during the
event and discussing the project thoroughly and figuring out a roadmap in
the short to mid term.

Aleix