KTextEditor Plugins: Multiple Main Windows

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Mon Dec 23 14:08:48 UTC 2013

> > > Yeah,
> > >
> > > thats the question, how it is used and how often.
> >
> > The solution to multiple main windows imo is pretty simple.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Instead, the solution is as simple as to provide a "Detach" action.
> > This way, one is able to move a View to another screen (or in KDevelop e.g.
> > a documentation view). Detach will just create a small window and put the
> > Views XmlGui inside it or similar - this is application dependent or
> > course.
>
> This is btw exactly what QtCreator does as far as I was shown. And yes, I do
> want to implement that for KDevelop as well - it sounds simple and fulfills
> the "multiscreen" usecase nicely imo.
>
> Having multiple toolviews of plugins in more than one mainwindow is not
> really
> required.
Yep, think so, too.

Based on the comments about that on kate-editor.org post, I guess most people could live with that.

Given it makes the plugin API much easier and less error-prone, I think it a good step ;)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com