KTextEditor Plugins

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Sun Dec 22 15:32:07 UTC 2013

> On Sunday 22 December 2013 16:19:00 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > e.g. the current Kate application interfaces would make a good starting
> > point, guess needs to be just shrinked down.
> Yes, quite possible. We should sit together at the sprint and discuss what
> kinds of things we want to have in the interface and which of those both
> applications can easily provide.
>
> > Btw., does KDevelop support multiple main windows or is this then again a
> > new process?
> No. We have discussed this before, currently we don't support it at all. I
> think launching a new process it not a solution for KDevelop, because unlike
> kate we keep a large amount of language data in memory, and launching a new
> process would need to duplicate all this data. Additionally, our current
> architecture allows each session (which is bound to a language data
> repository) to be opened only once, because the underlying database system
> does not support concurrent access by multiple processes.
I can only tell, that for Kate, the multiple main windows stuff is the thing that caused
the most segfaults in all our plugins (even in my own project plugin), as it is non-trivial to
get that right ;)

> > I was about thinking to go for Kate to the "each main window is an own
> > process" scheme, too. This would make the interfaces A LOT less complex, as
> > each plugin would have only one view, even the plugin/view split could be
> > removed.
> I'm still not sure I understand this: If you want to keep split view (which I
> would really not remove), plugins always have to deal with multiple views
> anyways. The "two windows" doesn't really introduce any additional complexity
> over split view, or does it?
The plugins for the application normally don't create toolviews and menus per KTextEditor::View but
per main window.

E.g. the Kate project plugin creates on toolview "project" per main window, the search in files one,

That they interact with potentially many open KTextEditor::Document/View's is an additional complexity ;)

With only "one" main window, A LOT of stuff will be easier, in the plugins and in Kate.

At last akademy most people I talked about that did think that was anyway the way Kate works, one process instance
per window.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com