[GSoC] User-Defined Project & File Templates

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 15:59:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2012 15:54:05 Aleix Pol wrote:

>> > Thank you for sending my email to the devel list. Now I'm registered.
>> >
>> > I think didn't explained too well how I think it should be implemented so
>> > I've attached an image with a small sketch.
>> > http://lolozaur.bshellz.net/kdevtemplate.png
>> > I don't think there is a better place to put a create new template wizard.
>> > I've seen this kind of stuff on other IDEs such as NetBeans( you can
>> > create
>> > new NetBeans Modules).
>> > And I think the user should have the option to manually edit template's
>> > files (he's a developer, not a normal user). The wizard will ask him
>> > compilation method, project structure (folders, files) and maybe other
>> > thinks.
>> > Also kdevappwizard will have a Get Hot New Stuff button to get other
>> > templates.
>> >
>> > Another way could be: You right click on your project (or from the Project
>> > menu ) -> Make this project a template
>> > But i don't think this is such a good idea.
>> >
>> > Maybe there are some other people on the mailing list with better ideas of
>> > implementing this but they don't have time to do it. Please share your
>> > ideas so we can improve even more KDevelop.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Andrei
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> Hi Andrei,
>> I worked on the new layout of the template selector last summer (not
>> gsoc, just happened to be summer :)). I really think there's place for
>> improvement where to make a difference. I'm unsure about if it's
>> enough work for a whole GSoC but I'm sure that if you get to
>> understand the problem correctly you'll manage to write a kick-ass
>> proposal.
>>
>> You mention template editing/creation. I'm unsure about that. I don't
>> think that developers need automated tools to create templates, our
>> goal is to provide good templates, so far. I agree with milian,
>> though, that it would be really cool to be able to import templates
>> easily through GHNS (for example). We could put together some editing
>> tool, but I'm unsure it would pay off, maybe you should think this
>> through.
>
> See: http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas#Project:_User-
> Defined_Project_.26_File_Templates
>
> I really think that this would be a very good thing to have in KDevelop. And
> it's more than just project templates, but also some way to have file
> templates (e.g. a template for a new QTest-based unit test, ...). It should
> suffice for a GSOC and doesn't require too much prior knowledge. I think much
> time would need to be spent on getting up with an idea on how to properly
> integrate it (i.e. this very discussion :)).
>
>> Regarding the template selection, most of what you said is already
>> there. We need polishing and love, that's for granted maybe you can
>> give it a try while you figure out your proposal.

> [...]

Oh I see. Yes, I've missed such a feature many times. I got dragged
with the project templates screenshot ;).

Also, this can be combined with improving the "create class" wizard it
also needs work and it might be not that different, for instance the
template files will want a license probably.

Aleix