disabling splash screen?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Mar 8 20:38:02 UTC 2012

Hey all,

at least on my machine(s?), the splash screen is just adding flickering noise
on startup. I'm thus wondering about what we should so about it:

a) only show it "delayed", i.e. similar to the progress bar:
QTimer::singleShot(300, splash, SLOT(show());
instead of
splash->show()
in kdevelop/app/main.cpp

note that this makes the splash go away, and just shows some other flickering,
which might be similar to the flickering seen when switching areas. So
something else to fix :)

b) increase the timeout it's shown, e.g. right now we hide it 200ms after
initialization is done. If we'd increase that to say 1-2s it makes the startup
much nicer I think.

So, what do you say?
--
Milian Wolff