Database Projects

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Feb 25 15:56:35 UTC 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012 00:30:34 Miguel Tadeu wrote:
> Hi,
> due to lack of better name, I'll call this "Database Projects". So far,
> here's what I developed:
>
> - Project template with a specific directory structure (defining the manager
> as the new database project manager) - Import schema from a MySQL server
> into .sql files( tables, views, procedures, triggers and functions are
> currently supported  ) - Build of a schema file with the combination of all
> .sql scripts in specific project directories - Deploy script with the
> changes to make for a specific target
> - Clean the project
> - Compare schemas to check differences between two schemas
> - Management of MySQL connection configurations
>
> I'm using the applications supplied by MySQL Workbench, namely
> mysqldbimport, mysqldbexport, mysqldiff.
>
> The main functionality inherits from KDevelop::AbstractFileManagerPlugin so
> the behaviour is pretty much it. New actions were added for the context
> menu to implement the functionality described above.

As I said before: This is not a good approach to this task. Enforcing a
project layout and a file manager on database projects is simply a no-go.

What about projects that need a build manager (and hence the associated file
manager)? Those simply cannot be used with your approach!

Instead, make your plugin a proper standalone plugin that adds the required
stuff as a projectkcm and makes it possible to use it independently from the
file manager plugin.

> I think it's stable enough to make the code available in a sandbox
> environment. For this I'll need some directions. I just created an account
> in projects.kde.org so I'm waiting for further steps.

Do you need the account for a scratchbox? I thought one can create a
scratchbox without a developer account?

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de