kdev development

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Feb 24 12:41:58 UTC 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012 09:02:54 Bob Andries wrote:
> Hi Milian,

Hey Bob!

I've CC'ed out devel mailing list. Please answer to that place, so others can
chime in :)

> I really like KDevelop and I would like to help out a bit. Do you think it
> would make sense for me to join in? My interests are in well performing and
> clean code. C++ obviously.
> If so, what would be the best way to get started in this project? Is there
> some developer documentation? Or are there any code paths that are
> particularly interesting to read and step through?

Personally, I always answer such questions the same way: Find something in
KDevelop that bugs you and fix it / improve it. If we'd give you something to
work on that is not very interesting, you'd lose interest eventually. Better
pick something you are personally attached to.

If you found something in KDevelop and wonder where that is in code, write us
a mail and explain what you want to do. We can help then.

> Anyway: I do not have a ton of time to spare, it would probably be 2 hours
> a week on average, depending on how interesting the issues are that I might
> work on. If you think that because of that it's not worth the trouble, I
> will understand.

See above :) Make sure you feel that it's worth the trouble. It should be fun
to work on it after all. One note about the 2h/week: It might be an issue in
the beginning, where you are going to "waste" some time understanding the code
base. But sooner or later you should be able to do nice changes in such a
short time quite efficiently.

> One extra note: I have never contributed to an open source project on a
> regular basis. Once submitted (mailed in fact) a tiny patch for glfw, and
> maybe some similar small things for other projects.

Cool, just the better :) Once you have a patch, please post it on reviewboard
[1] and we'll give you some feedback. You can of course always ask us per
mail/irc (#kdevelop on freenode) if you need help.

bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de