GSOC 2012

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at
Fri Feb 17 09:57:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at> wrote:
> Also, it's a huge amout of work without an actual immediate benefit.
> It's the kind of thing KDE applications tend to do way too much. If
> you have something that works 99%, fix the other 1%, and don't switch
> to something totally different, introducing tons of new bugs and
> taking years to get to a similar state like before. KDevelop is just
> getting to a point where it's stable enough to be called "stable" if a
> few more things are fixed. I *really* would be against another "let's
> break it all" step now.

Fortunately, there is no need to break everything. KDevelop is modular
enough to handle two parsers fortunately. Also this does not have to
live inside KDevelop's repository until it is ready.

As for the 99% thing, I use KDevelop mainly for kernel hacking and
it's far from being 99%. I try to fix things here and there, but there
will always be corner cases for which a full-compliant parser will be

> Not appropriate for a GSOC project. And afaiks CLang still does not give any
> stable ABI/API promise nor are their development files shipped on the major
> distributions.

CLang's API is still changing a lot, true. That should eventually
stabilize, hopefully soon.

> Hence: Not something we should work on now. But I agree that it could be
> helpful in the future.

I will continue playing with that in my corner and see if something
interesting can emerge. ;)


More information about the KDevelop-devel mailing list