Redesign of "Configure Launches" dialog

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 16:22:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 18:24, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I think most people here agree that the current "Configure launches"
> dialog is quite horrible. Let me quickly summarize the main pitfalls:
> 1. Undiscoverable: I guess most users won't find out that you can
> switch the launch configuration type to "Script" in the tree view. You
> have to horizontally scroll that treeview to uncover an unseen colum,
> then double-click some text which doesn't look like you can click it
> to activate a drop-down-list. This is especially relevant for me, as
> the python plugin requires this functionality to be easy-to-find.
> 2. Unpractical: Even if you know how it works, the whole thing feels
> really sluggish to do, because of the tiny hard-to-find "add" buttons
> and the vertical scrolling.
> 3. Illogical: Why is "Debug" a sub-item in the treeview for the launch
> configuration? In my eyes, that doesn't make any sense. The whole
> tree-view seems overkill for a top-layer which often has only one item
> (at least I seldom have more than one or two projects opened), which
> often only has one or two sub-items (the configurations) which also
> have exactly one sub-item.
>
> Anyway, enough said about the old one. Here's my suggestion for a new
> dialog, which I'd like to discuss and improve:
>    http://imgur.com/a/lnciJ#0
> Here's the UI file:
>    http://files.feorar.org/launchdialog2.ui
>
> Changing the "Program type" dropdown thing to something else would
> change the tab layout (for example add an "interpreter" tab).
> Please tell me what you think. Of course it's totally non-functional,
> currently (the UI file is just a mockup).

Your mockup is looking very good!

Some comments:
- what about multiple dependencies? Please don't drop them :D
- There will be some api changes required to support Debugger tab between two
  tabs from native launcher
- In your mockup there is no way to change the debugger type (yes that
is possible in
  the current dialog - though atm there is only one available. But it
is required eg. when you
  have a php and a python debugger)
- Global launches are not shown in your mockup (minor issue)
- when creating a new launch - how to select the project it belogs to?
- the menu behind the add button isn't there (personally I never used that one)

> 3. Illogical: Why is "Debug" a sub-item in the treeview for the launch
> configuration?
The valgrind plugin used to create additional Profile entries.
(but that should work well with tabs as in your mockup)