Rough KDevelop 4.6 Planning

Sergey Vidyuk sir.vestnik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 16:40:35 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 18 December 2012 23:43:41 André Stein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new feature in mind which I miss from other IDEs. That is an output
> view which shows warnings or errors from the build process. An example is
> the "build issues" pane in Qtcreator:
>
> http://docs.huihoo.com/qt/qtcreator/1.3/images/qtcreator-build-issues.png
>
> The rationale behind this is to have the filtered problems in a consolidated
> list where every item per file and code location is listed only once. This
> is especially useful when compiling many jobs in parallel where a lot of
> normal output hides the real warnings and errors - which are often
> duplicates because same headers are included across different translation
> units.
>
> My current idea would be to integrate the list in the build output plugin
> which already does the whole build process filtering. Some buttons could
> allow (additive) filtering of errors, warnings and hints.

In the time of KDevelop 3 there were options to filter build output and my
favorite one was to suppress commands and show only which file is compiled +
errors and warnings. Here is a screenshout I found:
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/visualtutorial/img2.jpg

In KDevelop 4 I missed this feature a lot in the beggining of migretion. So I
voting for integration with build output view in such way.

> Another possibility would be to implement a separate plugin and thus view
> which gets the filtered items from the output view. This of course would
> require some heavy refactoring as the current plugin is highly integrated
> and doesn't provide an Api to access build filtered messages.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> André

Sergey