Rough KDevelop 4.6 Planning

André Stein andre.stein.1985 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:43:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a new feature in mind which I miss from other IDEs. That is an output view which shows warnings or errors from the build process. An example is the "build issues" pane in Qtcreator:

http://docs.huihoo.com/qt/qtcreator/1.3/images/qtcreator-build-issues.png

The rationale behind this is to have the filtered problems in a consolidated list where every item per file and code location is listed only once. This is especially useful when compiling many jobs in parallel where a lot of normal output hides the real warnings and errors - which are often duplicates because same headers are included across different translation units.

My current idea would be to integrate the list in the build output plugin which already does the whole build process filtering. Some buttons could allow (additive) filtering of errors, warnings and hints.

Another possibility would be to implement a separate plugin and thus view which gets the filtered items from the output view. This of course would require some heavy refactoring as the current plugin is highly integrated and doesn't provide an Api to access build filtered messages.

What do you think?

Cheers,
André