Broken categories in our templates or kapptemplate?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 23 20:19:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Maybe so.
>>>
>>> Qt wasn't split because when this change was done there was a lot of
>>> the frameworks decisions going on. I think that what we should end up
>>> having is only Qt for applications and KDE for backends stuff, like
>>> KIO. Or not.
>>
>> I think I'm missing something here. Can you please look at
>> kdevelop/app_templates and tell me why those 3 rather simple
>> application templates are in a KDE category? I don't see how this has
>> anything to do with frameworks, even if we fast-forward a year when
>> frameworks are actually released those three templates are still plain
>> Qt templates that having nothing to do with KDE (or frameworks).
>> kapptemplate ships all the KDE-libraries using templates and I totally
>> agree that those should be in a KDE category.
>
> Well... there's been a lot of discussions about what is a KDE
> application and what isn't. That's what I meant.

Uhm, by definition a KDE application is an application that uses
something from KDE, in turn this means an application that doesn't use
anything provided by KDE itself is not a KDE app (I'm specifically
excluding platform-integration stuff loaded by the framework). So an
application (template) that solely links against QtCore cannot be a
KDE app - by definition.

Anyway, if KDE is what the rest of you think is suitable for plain-Qt
CMake app templates, so be it. I'm not needing the templates often
enough to loose too much sleep over this.