Will be speaking about KDevelop at LinuxCon Japan 2012

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:00:37 UTC 2012

On Apr 20, 2012 6:44 PM, "Milian Wolff" <mail at milianw.de>
> > results). I'd like to demonstrate most of these live, then expect to
> > be burnt alive at the end of the session by the Church of Emacs
> > followers.
>
> Heh, I like your humor :)

Humor? Where?

> Hmm things that need to be mentioned... always a big issue for me as well
when
> I did a talk on KDevelop. There is simply so much!
>
> Imo you have a nice hook, i.e. kernel development - try to put in all the
> little things that make you productive when using KDevelop. QuickOpen,
context
> browsing, semantic highlighting, ... The list should contain things you
> personally use such that you can easily talk about them, imo.

Yes, these ones are core KDevelop features, but they scale particularly
well in the case of the kernel so I will definitely cover them first.

> Other tools that come to my mind would be snippets that are quite nifty in
> some situations (also known from lots of other editors). And of course the
> Kate VI-Mode for all the VIM users in the crowd :)

Kate VI-mode is indeed a must. Without it I would not be using KDevelop
myself. I think it would also be interesting to highlight the fact that
KDevelop is independent of the editor - for instance, someone recently
wrote a Qt port of Vim - if another person had the good idea to make a
KPart out of it, you could have something quite interesting too.

> Then, if you have time, I would appreciate it if you could take the time
> quickly explain the attending developers that it's relatively easy to hack
> KDevelop. It's mostly modular plugins after all... Tell them that we are
open
> to any contributions (even if I slack quite much and review requests
always
> need some time). You could also stress that we are *not* opposed to a
> designated C language plugin (opposed to a C++ one with C99/C11
extensions) -
> but that this would need someone to work on it.

Yes, attracting potential developers is one of the main points of this
talk. I was myself surprised by how modular and accessible KDevelop is.
There is a great potential for developers that is not exploited because
most people mistakenly see KDevelop as a sort of an attempt to mimic Visual
Studio. Also people need to be more aware of the fact that it is perfectly
usable.

> PS: If you need any help in preparation or such, just hit us up!

I'd so appreciate if some of the core KDev developers would be kind enough
to review and give feedback & suggestions on early versions of the slides
(off list, of course). If some of you don't mind doing so, please let me
know!

Also there are a couple of features I'd like to implement to set the
KDevelop solution out of the ctags/cscope flock. One of them in particular
is the ability to track the possible values of function pointers in the
DUChain and to give a list of potential candidates in the function popup
window (much like what is done for overridden virtual functions in C++).
This is heavily used in the kernel, is very confusing for beginners, and
would just be a killer feature to show. I will open a separate thread for
this, any kind of help/guidance that would speed things up would be
extremely welcome.

Thanks!
Alex.