Application for GSoC and proposal

Alexander Rössler mail.aroessler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 07:59:40 UTC 2012

Hello Kdevelop developers,

I have rewritten my proposal a bit. Maybe you can take look at it:

*Introduction*

I noticed that deploying applications to Linux is not that easy, especially
when considering that there are a lot of different Linux distributions out
there. OpenSUSE (or exactly Novell) found a solution for that, the Open
Build Service. The Build Service brings a lot of comfort for developers and
packagers, however to deploy an app with the Build Service, you need at
least do know the basics about RPM and Deb and a lot of time. For
Developers using Linux as main development platform this is of course not a
big problem, but especially when a project is developed for different
platforms, developers might be frightened about deploying applications to
Linux, especially smaller projects. The aim of the project Bretzn was to
connect various services on the internet for building and deploying
applications. In the end of 2010 the beta of a plug-in for the IDE Qt
Creator was released. The plug-in looked very interesting, but a final
version was never released. So my suggestion is, bringing project Bretzn
back to live and to create an application for deploying software on Linux.

*The goals of the project*:

   -

   making deployment of applications on Linux easy
   -

   saving lots of time for releasing applications and updates on
   openDesktop.org
   -

   providing a plug-in for Kdevelop

*Implementation*:

The project should start where the development of the Qt Creator plug-in
was stopped. The plug-in used lib Attica, which provides an easy to use
framework for using the Open Collaboration Services. Lib Attica provides
support for connecting to the Build Service as well as the openDesktop
platform. This project will be developed as Kdevelop plug-in, so I will
refer to it as Build Service Plugin. The Build Service Plugin should
automatically generate .spec files for RPM distributions and the necessary
files for Deb distributions. Generating these files might not be possible
for every project without user interaction, but as the Build Service Plugin
is especially targeted to smaller projects, most of the time containing
only a binary, some icons, a desktop file and some documentation, this
should be possible. The GUI should provide an easy way to input data like
the application description or the change log. After all the necessary file
are created, the project will be uploaded to the Build Service. Another
idea is that the Build Service Plugin also provides an easy way to publish
projects to the openDesktop.org platform, where end users can find, comment
and rate applications.

*Timeline:*

   -

   Before GsoC: Analyzing the code of the previous project and getting
   information from the developers
   -

   Designing the user interface and how the application should work
   -

   Implementing the specfile and debian.rules generator
   -

   Implementing the project-file management and tarball creator
   -

   Implementing the parts of the application that use the OCS API (the
   network part)
   -

   Creating the Kdevelop plug-in
   -

   Creating the documentation (most should already be done during
   development process)
   -

   Sending code to Google
   -

   After GsoC: Getting in touch with users, optimizing, bug fixing etc...

Especially because a lot of the tasks that should be done are well
documented, all this should be done within one to two months, providing
enough time if problems, or things that where not thought of, occur.

*About me:*

I am studying electronic engineering at the University of *A**pplied
Sciences Technikum* Vienna. I have a lot of experience developing Qt
applications, because I am a open source developer since a long time. (one
of my newest projects is PhyxCalc:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/PhyxCalc?content=149161) I am also one
of the OpenSUSE ambassadors for Austria, making me especially suitable for
this job as developer of the Build Service plug-in.

Thank you for reading my proposal.

Regards

Alexander