Developing the Linux kernel with KDevelop

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:48:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> It tries to figure out some include directories by calling a null gcc, maybe
> that's the problem?

That seems to be the case, indeed. In
IncludePathResolver::resolveIncludePathInternal(), make is invoked in
dry-run mode to try and figure out the include directories. If I
prevent this to happen, this directory is not created. The problem
seems to be that make is run in the kernel source directory (while it
should be run in the build directory), which probably runs some script
that prepares the source for building, despite the dry-run mode.

The call to make is hardcoded no matter the kind of project - maybe
this could be changed, or even disabled for the generic project
manager? There is no reason to think that make is used with it.

> it's what I said on A. I'm not sure what you're going for, though. In an
> ideal case, one would never need to add include directories.

If you have a suitable project manager, like CMake, this should never
be necessary indeed. But for the generic manager, I think not making
any assumption and leaving flexibility to the user is key.

Thanks,
Alex.