unifying libdiff2

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 28 03:58:16 UTC 2011

On Friday 28 October 2011, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> That was going to be my next question.  Kevin, are you aware of any
> plans to migrate kdesdk to git?  I can start to look into writing the
> rules (if they haven't been started already).  My first question
> though is does kdesdk want to migrate as one git module? or split git
> modules per application?

I've been told that the plan is that ALL the KDE SC modules will eventually
migrate to git, but I don't know any details about when and how this will
happen for kdesdk. You have to talk to the people driving the git migration
and/or to the kdesdk module coordinator.

> Included in my reason for wanting everyone to use one codebase of
> libdiff2 is my want to use it myself also.  It would be nice if it was
> not part of kompare, but a library that kompare depended on.  I'm not
> sure how tied to kompare it is at the moment though tbh.

If kdesdk is going for split repos, a libdiff2 as a separate submodule of
kdesdk (i.e. a separate git module which would be listed as part of kdesdk in
the tree on projects.kde.org) is certainly doable (and in line with what e.g.
kdegraphics is doing).

> Kevin, what are your thoughts on making libdiff2 a library independent
> of kdesdk?  Again I'm not really clear how tied to kompare it is, but
> it does seem useful elsewhere imo.

The problem with moving it out of kdesdk is, where do we move it to?
1. It depends on kdelibs, so kdesupport is the wrong place.
2. We can't add it to kdelibs before 5.0 because kdelibs 4.x is permafrozen.
(And I've tried to fight that pointless freeze on kde-core-devel, with no
success.)
3. There's no suitable module between kdelibs and kdesdk.

If kdesdk is getting split anyway, having libdiff2 become one of its submodules
looks like the sanest solution to me.

        Kevin Kofler