Let's end the formatting mess

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Nov 9 16:32:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Alexander Dymo <alexander.dymo at gmail.com>wrote:

>  As a next step, I think we should do the same for all of KDevelop and
>> KDevplatform, to finally get rid the inconsistent formatting all
>> around.
>>

> Formatting is not a problem at all in our codebase.
>

>  The question is, if we can find an uncrustify config which
>> satisfies all of us. Personally I would like to use the 2-spaces
>> indent style used in kdevplatform/language and kdevelop/languages/cpp
>> in all of KDevelop, because 2-spaces is more economical regarding
>> screen real-estate.
>>

> Thank you, but I prefer my pretty 4-space indentation in the code that I
> wrote.
>

> --

I don't really like the 2 whitespace either, but I wouldn't like to create
a flame about that. If we really want to let people to economize their
screen space, I'd say use tabs. That way you can configure the editor
however you want, however there's people who really hate those.

If we want to standarize, I'd say we should adhere to the kdelibs coding
style, I don't really like it either, but some compromise will be always
present.

I don't really think it's that much of a problem either.

Aleix