Test plugin and library

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 15 20:39:32 UTC 2011

On 15.03.11 21:08:41, Miha Čančula wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've moved the Veritas library and the QTest plugin from svn to git
> playground. After getting to know the code, the first thing I did was change
> the tree view's look to match the Project toolview. As you can see in the
> attaches screenshots,  both use a QTreeView with the same indentation and
> decorations. I also introduced checkboxes, modeled after other selectable
> treeviews in KDE, such as the one for selecting your collection folders in
> Amarok. I removed the hover-icon method of selecting and deselecting tests
> to run in favor of checkboxes. I might not be a usability expert, but I do
> like consistency, so I tried to make the UI as similar to existing ones
> (Projects, Snippets, Classes) that use QTreeViews. The plugin itself works
> as expected (no significant changes to QTestLib while it was unmaintained),
> so I haven't touched that yet.
>
> My next plan is to remove the remaining hover-icons, and provide a RMB-menu
> instead.

Please don't. As you did not include screenshots I can't say for sure,
but I believe those hover-icons (except for selecting which tests to
run) are more useful than rmb-menus. In particular since context menus
means people won't easily discover the functionality. They should be
always-visible though I think and only switch between grey and color on
hovering. We're having great success at work with similar icons on the
right of a list to run/record individual tests, our users find that much
better than the context menu solution we had in earlier versions of our
IDE.