Test plugin and library

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Tue Mar 15 20:08:41 UTC 2011

Hello!

I've moved the Veritas library and the QTest plugin from svn to git
playground. After getting to know the code, the first thing I did was change
the tree view's look to match the Project toolview. As you can see in the
attaches screenshots,  both use a QTreeView with the same indentation and
decorations. I also introduced checkboxes, modeled after other selectable
treeviews in KDE, such as the one for selecting your collection folders in
Amarok. I removed the hover-icon method of selecting and deselecting tests
to run in favor of checkboxes. I might not be a usability expert, but I do
like consistency, so I tried to make the UI as similar to existing ones
(Projects, Snippets, Classes) that use QTreeViews. The plugin itself works
as expected (no significant changes to QTestLib while it was unmaintained),
so I haven't touched that yet.

My next plan is to remove the remaining hover-icons, and provide a RMB-menu
instead. Another thing I'd like to do is remove the project selection
dropdown, and just list all projects in the tree. This not only matches the
Projects view, but reduces the number of clicks needed to start using the
plugin. But before I proceed to mindlessly destroy the hard work of others,
I'd like to know what else would have to be done to make the plugin
KDevelop-worthy. Aleix (I suppose he read this list), you posted the GSoC
idea, what exactly did you have in mind? And how should the the plugin (both
the test-tree and the result-view) look to best match KDevPlatform's
standards?

And the last thing, I would very much like to work on KDevelop/KDevPlatform
as part of the summer of code. I know I haven't made any contributions to
KDev* yet, but I am following its development and I'm somewhat familiar with
the code (at least the architecture). My first idea this year was this test
runner, but as one backend is already working, would it be worth a slot or
should I try something else? A possibility would be adding support for other
test frameworks, like CppUnit and Boost, but I don't know of any KDE program
that would use those.