Commit-message linebreaks

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:00:42 UTC 2011

2011/6/26 Niko Sams <niko.sams at gmail.com>:
> The previous situation was very bad as the user gets the impression automatic
> breaks happen - but they don't (in the message itself).
>
> It should not be dependent on the current width of the widget, but should
> depend wrap an fixed position (eg. 72 chars).
> That could be easy to do with QTextEdit::FixedColumnWidth.
> Tough I'm not sure if every project does have this 72 chars limit?

Btw. there are also people who don't have 1600x1200 screens, and where
even the 72 lines won't fit into the commit-message box. I think it's
bad to create UIs that don't scale (up as well as down). Therefore, I
think we should use automatic linebreaks, because it's the only
solution that scales, and that gives the user the freedom to decide by
himself how he wants to format the commit-messages.