VCS Changes Toolview

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:59:00 UTC 2011

2011/6/10 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I read the blog-post about the VCS changes toolview, but didn't test it
>> yet.
>>
>> In general though, do we really need a new toolview for this? To me,
>> this functionality belongs into the "Project" treeview. In general, it
>> should be possible to see the VCS status of files in the projects
>> toolview.
>>
>> Showing _only_ the changed files equals a filter of the project tree,
>> and could be done by generalizing the filtering-capability. Instead of
>> having a filter-line, we could have a filter drop-down, with these
>> items (for example):
>> * All (the default)
>> * Open (would show only the files currently open, could eventually
>> replace the "documents" view)
>> * VCS Changes (would show the files that changed according to VCS)
>> * [[filter-line-edit]] (would show the current filter line-edit)
>>
>> Instead of creating more and more hardly discoverable toolviews, we
>> should search ways to consistently integrate the whole stuff.
>>
>> Greetings, David
>>
>> --
>
> The main difference is that in this case a plain list is easier to read
> while the project view is a tree, and information gets hidden quite easily.
> I agree that this information should be displayed in the project view, also,
> but I think it's a different use case. I don't think it's about filtering.
> I also agree that having too much toolviews can be counterproductive, but I
> also think that rushing into having all data in the same place is not the
> best scenario and could let us into a terribly cluttered interface that
> wouldn't let one use case or the other.
> Aleix

It depends on how many items you have, whether the tree is easier to
read than a plain list.

Generally, when filtering the project-tree, and only few items remain
after filtering (let's say less than 20), then the whole resulting
tree should be automatically expanded, which would be nearly the same
as a plain list.

Greetings, David