Randa 2011 Metting Idea Dump

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jun 6 12:18:01 UTC 2011

On 06.06.11 12:31:23, Milian Wolff wrote:
> greetings from the last day of our 2011 sprint in Randa. If you missed it,
> I've logged some results of our discussions on the following wiki page:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDevelop4/Meeting2011
>
> There is lots of stuff TODO in there (some lines are flagged with that, some
> not...). Look at it as a memory of stuff we want to do in the future.
> Furthermore there are rough experimental ideas in there which we want to
> investigate. Also some items could be used for future contributors to work on,
> i.e. if we get more awesome French students next year, of for GSOC.
>
> Anyways, if someone has questions, shoot. Keep in mind that many of these
> bullet points are not set in stone.

That point about "never submit failing unit tests" needs more
explanation  I think, it seems to encourage simply putting in a
QEXPECT_FAIL if a code-change breaks a unit-test or if a newly-written
test triggers a bug in the code. It should be made clear that
QEXPECT_FAIL is only to be used _if_ the test wants to verify that a
certain assumption is not true, i.e. the expected behaviour is a fail
even though all the code is correct.

It shouldn't be used to just silence failing tests, as then the tests
are completely useless.  Better to disable the test alltogether than
making it 'succeed' even though its actually failing.