Google Summer of Code idea : integrate Karbon in KDevelop

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jan 24 16:43:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Denis Steckelmacher <steckdenis at yahoo.fr>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Google Summer of Code having been announced, I propose an idea that
> could make KDevelop better,
> and that can ease the use of a promising Free technology : SVG.
>
> One day, I read an article about the advantages of Flash over SVG. It's
> main avantage for the developer was
> that Adobe provides a very good IDE to develop complex Flash applications.
> This IDE provides a good
> vectorial editor and a good script editor. I then searched a Free Software
> able to propose the same kind of
> integration between the artwork and the code, but I didn't find anything.
>
> My idea is to integrate the Karbon part in KDevelop. Karbon will provide an
> easy to use and rich interface to
> graphically edit SVG files, and KDevelop will provide a really nice XML and
> Javascript editor. The same SVG
> file could even be opened in the two modes (graphics and code) at the same
> time, since I read that
> KDevelop supports multiple views for a same file (currently used to display
> a file as text and as hex data, as
> far as I know).
>
> If you are interrested, I am eligible to the Google Summer of Code and will
> be happy to work on KDevelop. I
> will already begin to think about this integration and see how it can be
> done in KDevelop and in Karbon. Feel
> free to comment this idea and what more can be done to transform KDevelop
> and Quanta into a first-class
> SVG IDE.
>
> Cheers,
> Denis Steckelmacher.
>
> --

That would be a good idea, but it needs a little development. You should
explain it better on the proposal (when it's time, of course). We're still a
little far from it.

Providing some collaboration with the kdevelop project will help your
chances as well, we need people who understand our way to work :).

Hope that helps,
Aleix