KDevelop Website

Amilcar do Carmo Lucas amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de
Tue Jan 4 01:26:18 UTC 2011

On 01/03/2011 04:24 PM, Sam S. wrote:
>> Please add those to the git repo of the website.
> Ok, I will.
>
> Btw, have you decided on a workflow for adding/editing website content yet?
> If I understood correctly one concern with the old website was that it
> didn't make it easy for people to contribute/improve content, since
> all changes had to be manually applied by the webmaster.
> Now that the website uses a CMS (Drupal) with advanced user management
> capabilities, you could allow more permissive (but still safe and
> moderated) work-flow rules.
>
> For example, I would suggest the following:
>
>    - Everyone who is not specifically blocked by the webmaster(s) can
> freely create an account. (Ideally, accounts would be shared between
> website and wiki, but I don't know if that's possible.)
>    - Everyone with an account can freely edit existing nodes or
> add/edit translations for existing nodes
>    - However, edits by "normal" accounts don't get published
> automatically, but are instead saved as pending revisions
>    - "Moderators" can publish pending revisions at any time (and also
> revert to previous revisions, etc.)
>    - All KDevelop "core developers" could be given moderator
> privileges, in order to not put the burden on a single webmaster
>
> Dupal core in combination with the Revisioning
> (http://drupal.org/project/revisioning) module can take care of all of
> this, and also provide a nice "pending revisions" list.
> It also allows to apply these workflow rules on a per-content-type
> basis, so for example nodes of type "News Item" and "KDevelop release"
> could be exempt from collaborative editing and only editable by the
> webmaster / release-coordinator, respectively.
>
> What do you think?
>
> The only thing I'm not sure how well this "revisioning" stuff would
> work with, is translations (because I've never tried that).
> But hopefully it can somehow be set up to work together cleanly.
> (I do assume you intend to make the website fully translatable, like
> the old one? It seems you'll need the i18n
> (http://drupal.org/project/i18n) module for that, and, for a smooth UI
> &  workflow experience, most likely some additional helper modules on
> top of that.)

I like your plan.
I prupose the following roadmap:
Use January to get the website in shape.
Transfer the kdevelop.org domain once the new website is stable.
Keep the kdevelop.de domain for the old website.

Once the new website is in place I'll make the forum and the wiki read-only.

Is that OK ?

Regards,
Amilcar