KDevelop Website

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 15:24:19 UTC 2011

> Please add those to the git repo of the website.

Ok, I will.

Btw, have you decided on a workflow for adding/editing website content yet?
If I understood correctly one concern with the old website was that it
didn't make it easy for people to contribute/improve content, since
all changes had to be manually applied by the webmaster.
Now that the website uses a CMS (Drupal) with advanced user management
capabilities, you could allow more permissive (but still safe and
moderated) work-flow rules.

For example, I would suggest the following:

  - Everyone who is not specifically blocked by the webmaster(s) can
freely create an account. (Ideally, accounts would be shared between
website and wiki, but I don't know if that's possible.)
  - Everyone with an account can freely edit existing nodes or
add/edit translations for existing nodes
  - However, edits by "normal" accounts don't get published
automatically, but are instead saved as pending revisions
  - "Moderators" can publish pending revisions at any time (and also
revert to previous revisions, etc.)
  - All KDevelop "core developers" could be given moderator
privileges, in order to not put the burden on a single webmaster

Dupal core in combination with the Revisioning
(http://drupal.org/project/revisioning) module can take care of all of
this, and also provide a nice "pending revisions" list.
It also allows to apply these workflow rules on a per-content-type
basis, so for example nodes of type "News Item" and "KDevelop release"
could be exempt from collaborative editing and only editable by the
webmaster / release-coordinator, respectively.

What do you think?

The only thing I'm not sure how well this "revisioning" stuff would
work with, is translations (because I've never tried that).
But hopefully it can somehow be set up to work together cleanly.
(I do assume you intend to make the website fully translatable, like
the old one? It seems you'll need the i18n
(http://drupal.org/project/i18n) module for that, and, for a smooth UI
& workflow experience, most likely some additional helper modules on
top of that.)

Cheers,

Sam