kdevelop-mercurial

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 21:16:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> Andrey Batyiev, 14.02.2011:
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm trying to revive Mercurial VCS support in KDevelop. I've converted
> code
> > from playground into mercurial repo and placed it into bitbucket
> > (link: https://bitbucket.org/generatorglukoff/kdevelop-mercurial ).
>
> While this is nice for you I don't like it from a maintainer/user POV. I
> expect all code related to KDevelop to reside somewhere on git.kde.org.
> Please, could we move it to:
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/devtools/plugins
>
> And - once you are confident it's production ready, go through kdereview to
> finally have it in kdevplatform itself.
>
> > Basic features work, except:
> > 1. copy, update, resolve — it's hard to trigger them
> > 2. branch deletion
> > 3. graph building
> > 4. vcsLocation, repositoryLocation <--- WTF is this?
> > 5. check grep -R TODO .
>
> Sounds good and I'm not sure we have UI/API for some parts of this. Aleix
> would know more though. Also: If you have ideas on how to extend the DVCS
> Api
> in KDevplatform, don't hesitate to come forward.

vcsLocation and repositoryLocation is API targeted to deal with VcsLocation
interfaces.

::repositoryLocation will return a VcsLocation instance.
::vcsLocation will return a widget that can be used to create a VcsLocation
targetting that specific vcs system.

You can check in the git plugin how all this works.

> > Development of plugin raised this questions:
> > 1. What's policy about ordering in project history? From oldest to newest
> > or from newest to oldest?
>
> I'd say from newest to oldest, like I expect "[git/svn/cvs] log" to work.
>
> > 2. Each time I revert some file there is popup arising about external
> > changes. Is it possible to somehow mute it and reload everything changed?
>
> Assuming the file was not changed in the editor, we could try to come up
> with
> something. I think it's useful. At least a dialog that shows all changed
> files
> at once and offers you to reload them all would be useful.

We should come up with smth better than a MessageBox. Ideas are welcome.

> > Some comments:
> > 1. History view window is kinda ugly. I think labels should reside on top
> > of tables, not at left. This will save some precious space.
>
> Patches welcome, esp. with before/after screenshots. Use
> git.reviewboard.kde.org.
>
> > 2. DistributedVersionControlPlugin is underdocumented.
>
> Aleix, can you change that?

Yes, I can put some time to that. Please let me know what's bugging you.

> > 2.1. In particular DistributedVersionControlPlugin::branch(...) has
> > parameter args which has fixed amount of possible values. (In fact it
> > would be better to use enums not QStringList).
>
> Sounds like a valid complaint.

Yes... I agree, the guy who designed that (and then disappeared) created
something _very_ depending on Git. I'd like feedback on that regard.

> Bye
>
> --
> Milian Wolff
> mail at milianw.de