KDevelop is leaking X connections

Konstantin Karganov karganov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:23:21 UTC 2011

> a) why is it bad to have many x client connections?

Because it is a limited resource, AFAIK the limit is compiled into XServer,
so it's not even possible to change it without building custom server from
patched sources.

> b) what is a x client connection used for?

As far as I remember from libX11 programming (which was about 15 years ago),
each application going to use Xwindow first obtains the server connection,
then creates something like a GUI context using that connection, and then
uses the context in all GUI functions i.e. for creating windows, drawing,
painting text and so on.
Usually, as Firefox example shows, it is enough to init only one connection
per application.

> c) what is the default "maximum number of x clients"?

As I found in google, it is usually 128 or 256.

The whole issue is quite strange actually.

Just tried to launch new kdevelop, didn't open any windows, just single main
window with last used session open. And it already takes 23 connections.
Probably Qt is leaking, and this explains hundred or two of plasma-workspace
connections.

I've also upgraded to 4.6.2 (on Ubuntu Maverick ) and it didn't help at all.
Meanwhile at home I have 4.5.x on OpenSUSE and no descriptor leak observed
(a bunch of other KDE bugs instead :) )

--
Best regards,
Konstantin.