KDevelop is leaking X connections

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 11:15:11 UTC 2011

On 15.04.11 13:00:57, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On 04/15/11 07:43, Konstantin Karganov wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Preface:
> >  Using KDE on my laptop I have a problem with leaking X connections. Every
> >several days I get into situation when each X application says "Maximum
> >number of X clients reached", as a result, no GUI apps can be launched, no
> >weblinks can be opened, desktop session can't be locked etc.
> >
> >The story:
> >
> >$ xlsclients | grep kdevelop | wc
> >      38      76     570
> >$ xlsclients | grep plasma | wc
> >     111     222    3330
> >
> >Shame on KDE desktop, it's awfully buggy, but Kdevelop..
> >I have only TWO Kdevelop sessions open, 2 processes running.
>
> besides what andreas said, here are a few questions from me:
>
> a) why is it bad to have many x client connections?

As he said, if you run out of them, you cannot start any further X11
application.

> b) what is a x client connection used for?

Show X11 windows, though apparently not each X11 window has its own
client connection. QApplication creates an X11 connection, but maybe
there are circumstances where a new X11 window also gets a new X11
connection.

> c) what is the default "maximum number of x clients"?

Apparently 255 according to what link google shows as first match for
the error message.