KDevelop is leaking X connections

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 07:03:44 UTC 2011

On 15.04.11 09:43:49, Konstantin Karganov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Preface:
>  Using KDE on my laptop I have a problem with leaking X connections. Every
> several days I get into situation when each X application says "Maximum
> number of X clients reached", as a result, no GUI apps can be launched, no
> weblinks can be opened, desktop session can't be locked etc.

First of all, KDevelop does not open up any X connections, if you grep
the source code you'll notice that there's no X11 code in it at all.
This is all handled by Qt itself and KDevelop has no control over that.

> The story:
>
> $ xlsclients | grep kdevelop | wc
>      38      76     570
> $ xlsclients | grep plasma | wc
>     111     222    3330
>
> Shame on KDE desktop, it's awfully buggy, but Kdevelop..
> I have only TWO Kdevelop sessions open, 2 processes running.

But apparently Qt decided to create 19 X11 windows for each process, why
it does that I have no idea, maybe file a bugreport. But looking at the
above, I'd say plasma is a much bigger problem for you if you cannot
create new windows.