Perspectives order

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Tue Sep 21 12:10:58 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 07 September 2010 14:18:26 David Nolden wrote:

> Yes the priority order is as you said. However since the tabs are aligned to
> the right, I'd more interpret the rightmost one as "most prominent", at
> least that was the idea when ordering them.

But humans still read left-to-right, not right-to-left.

> Apart from that, what exactly is the difference between different
> perspectives in eclipse?

Just like in KDevelop, each perspective keeps a list of open views and
their location.

On Tuesday 07 September 2010 10:37:47 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > Also, how this tab UI will scale when there is a dozen of perspectives
> > (which is the case in Eclipse)
>
> Do you actually use that many perspectives in Eclipse? Maybe I'm not a
> normal Eclipse user here, but I only use 2 perspectives all day.

While those two are most common for me as well, I sometimes use repository
browsing, and java browsing ones.

> In
> particular at least 3 of the standard perspectives are almost the same
> and don't provide a real difference. As we don't provide a separate
> perspective for each type of project or special file we're supporting I
> don't think we'll have the problem of perspective-explosion like
> Eclipse.

But we show all perspectives, not just those the users have activated with.
While we might have less perspectives than Eclipse, we might very well
eventually have 10 of them.

> Apart from that, isn't it clear how Tabs scale? At some point you get
> left/right buttons on the tabbar.

Yeah, and that, without some LRU order, will gonna be painful.

- Volodya