Colleagues of DUChain

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 8 22:03:32 UTC 2010

On 08.09.10 16:57:20, Paul Fee wrote:
> Over on the Boost mailing list, there's a thread about Scalpel, a source
> code analysis library which can expose the code's structure to other
> components such as editors.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/208217
>
> The conclusion was that LLVM/clang provides similar functionality and it
> would be better to support an established project than start another project
> tackling similar issues.
>
> Another useful project highlighted was GCCSense
> http://cx4a.org/software/gccsense/
>
> To me these seem to be overlap with KDevelop's DUChain.  I'm not familiar
> enough with clang, GCCSense, DUChain or Scalpel, but do they perform similar
> tasks and which should KDevelop be using?
>
> Does DUChain have features the others lack or vice versa?  Would KDevelop
> benefit from having a look at these similar projects?

The only thing we could benefit from would be a way of replacing our own
(somewhat hand-written) c++ parser (and preprocessor) with one that
supports more of the standard (especially newer features, c++0x) and
also supports C better than we do currently. That may be possible to do
within the C++ plugin, but its a huge amount of work. The rest of the
duchain (the stuff in platform) has a different aim than any of these
and hence is more-or-less unrelated.

Your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).