Git Support ready-ness

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:13:30 UTC 2010

Well, in a professional environment your machines are often administrated by
administrators and not by yourself, so all your "you can simply xxx" doesn't
work out. Anyway i didn't want to start a discussion on this. The important
thing is just that either git support should work properly, or not at all.
(The same for gdb support, but i guess that one already has the version
check).

Am 02.09.2010 20:06 schrieb "Andreas Pakulat" <apaku at gmx.de>:

On 02.09.10 17:41:41, David Nolden wrote:
> 2010/9/2 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > On 02.09.10...
Git is very easy to install from source. How do you use gdb 7.0? Also
there's already an updated version of LTS Ubuntu so an upgrade shouldn't
pose a technical problem. Really, 1.5.4 is >2 years old. We're also not
working with KDE4.2/Qt4.2 or gdb 6.8 anymore.

> In professional environments the OS is not updated every half year..
Thats actually not true. It depends on who the owner of the machine is
I'm updating my professional machines every once in a while (6-12 months
I think).

> Anyway it seems like the git plugin is completely incompatible with
> this version, for example t...
That means 1.6 and later I guess. Somebody will have to add a check and
error info and disable all the code.

> Also I've been able to trigger some assertions, which should never
> happen in a plugin that work...
Then get started ;) Its part of kdevplatform now, so it will be released
together with 4.1.

> I've also converted the git plugin to use relative paths everywhere,
> I'm sending the patch, no ...
That is not necessary, its enough to have the working dir set to the
project dir (or a subdir) with the above mentioned 1.6 version of git.

You will be the last person to buy a Chrysler.